Sunday, April 23, 2006

On the Edge…

On the edge of anything tempts for adventure. As a hang glider pilot the edge of a cliff is where it all begins. The count down is one for take off on an adventure across America in nothing much more than a hang glider with seats, engine and wheels. The aircraft preparation is mostly done, yet the route still is to be determined and is probably best left that way.

So how did I get to this bloody edge, sometimes I wonder myself. I am blaming it on my friends who have all started having babies. These guys have been the biggest inspiration on getting out there and enjoying the freedom while I still have it!!
Also with this in mind I thought I better throw myself a pre- party, quit working until further notice, go travelling Asia, South America , Central America and spend 3 precious months back in my homeland Australia learning to fly my new machine.

Flying America was also in the back of my mind but I never put an absolute pressure on myself that it must be done. As it turned out, I could not justify not going. I had the opportunity now to live my dream and with no REAL excuses, not doing it would have caused more psychological damage to me than actually the financial damage I have inflicted on myself!

The financial cost of taking time out pilot training, travelling and exporting aircraft around the world is all part of the adventure. It is quite funny peering at your mortgage overdraft account going down out of control, in a locked spiral dive. Soon I will have to rescue it but until then I may as well laugh at it and enjoy this adventure and its freedoms.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shola said...

Nice to see you enjoying your adventure, I hope to do something similar this side of the pond.

Shola

4:46 PM  
Blogger Ian Nuttall said...

I am doing a similar trip in Oz 2008, have a look at www.youvegotwings.com
Appreciate any tips
Regards

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Larry Stevens said...

Just to say hi and hope you all are doing ok...Larry Stevens the photographer from louisiana..

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pasta Express
Free Web Counter
Pasta Express