Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Day 26 -33 Time to get a job and reality check

After our arrival in central Florida, it was time to take a break
from flying. I had job interviews lined up in Chicago, Minneapolis and Indiana that week. I took off on Monday, and left Anna-Klara to battle the impending tropical storm Alberto, which hit Tampa on the Tuesday. The trike was safely in hangar so all was fine. It turns out it would not have been a good week to fly, so we got lucky we had other things planned.

Photo: Anna-Klara helping Larry and Abid from Tampa Bays Aerosports getting ready for a flight in Mr P.
They look like they are marvelling at Airborne's engineering !!!

Switching back into work mode after 8 month holiday waS a challenge. I work within the IT sector and things are pretty hot in the market at the moment for my skill. These companies actually paid my airline tickets up to see them, including hire car and accommodation. Being a Runway Refugee I did not say no, and actually went as far as upgrading to a convertible when I was in Minneapolis all at my potential employer’s expense. It was such a crazy feeling being in a strange city in America, in a convertible paid for by someone else, after spending so many weeks bumming around in the US living in all sorts of places. If only they knew, I thought.

One of those bizarre crazy incidence occurred after the formal interview. They took me out to lunch at a local restaurant. The interrogation did not stop once we left the office, I was under pressure and the usual BS-talk was flowing out of my mouth. I chose to drink the same as my potential boss and we were drinking and talking away waiting for our mains to be served. I finish my drink pretty quickly, and it was taken away without me noticing. I then, unknowingly, started to drink my potential bosses drink, thinking it was mine. Nothing was said, but I remember in hindsight, they both looked at me and little strange when I picked up the drink.

A minute or so later during the ongoing conversation, my potential new boss picked up his drink and drank from it. It was a bit of a shock as I thought it was my drink at first but then I triggered what had happened and had to hold back the laughter. Nothing was said, as this was a tight corporate interview, yet the looks gave it away. Ironically, they still offered me the job, yet that company seemed a little too incestuous for me !

During the rest of the week, we hired a car and explored the Tampa/Orlando region.
We were however, not really tempted, to go see any of the fun parks. Abid was really cool, allowing us to stay at his house ad hoc, as I flew in and out for interviews. That kind of support is so appreciated, when you have to do things on the road. Thanks Abid !! I got a job out of it. !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Pasta Express
Free Web Counter
Pasta Express